By PowerBuy // 1 October 2013 // Related Categories: Tips
Five things you don’t want when you buy networking equipment
Excuse the pun, but if it’s time to upgrade your networking equipment then you need to switch your thinking. Routers, switches and wireless products have come a long way and there are many options available.
So when you’re shopping for your next networking product here are five things you don’t want:
- Don’t settle for a limited time warranty – Choosing a networking product with 1, 2, 3 or even 5 year warranty is not good enough. These days, good quality products come with a lifetime warranty and that is a true sign of a reputable brand.
- Don’t seek proprietary technology – Some traditional networking brands use proprietary technology which limits and locks you into a particular mode or operation of the network. Look for a product with “open standard” technology that will happily work alongside numerous l brands and grow as your needs grow.
- Don’t manage each product separately – Managing each of your networking products individually is a big drain on your time so choose products that give you a single screen to manage all of your networking products together. Some management tools also let you view a diagram of the locations of your equipment so you can identify “dead spots” in your wireless coverage and areas where network access is slow.
- Don’t set yourself up with many “throats to choke” – If something goes wrong in your network then you don’t want to be forced into making multiple phone calls to get the problem resolved. Similarly, as an IT support provider we prefer to deal with just one manufacturer to resolve the issue quickly because we don’t want “finger pointing”
. In many cases it makes sense to buy your networking equipment from the same company that makes your server and storage equipment.
- Don’t only think about today – Your networking requirements will likely evolve over the coming years so buy products to support your needs both now and in the future. Someday soon you might want to implement VoIP solutions such as Lync (like –link?) or security cameras so make sure your equipment can grow with your needs.
If it’s time to upgrade your networking equipment then please contact us.
Comments: 0 // Share: